BRIEF HISTORICAL OVERVIEW
- The Society of the Missionaries of St. Francis Xavier is commonly also known as the Society of Pilar
- It was founded in 1886 by Fr. Bento Martins in Agonda, Goa, then a Portuguese territory.
- Its headquarters were transfered to Pilar, Goa in 1891
- It was reorganised in 1939 at Pilar.
MEMBERSHIP OVERVIEW (Feb 1, 2019)
- 2 Bishops
- 339 Priests
- 14 Deacons
- 86 Professed members for the priesthood