THE SOCIETY – A BIRD’S EYE VIEW
- The Society of the Missionaries of St. Francis Xavier is commonly also known as the Society of Pilar
- It was founded in 1887 by Fr. Bento Martins in Agonda, Goa, then a Portuguese territory.
- Its headquarters were transfered to Pilar, Goa in 1890
- It was reorganised in 1939 at Pilar.
- The Society was raised to Pontifical Rite in 2010 For a more detailed version, click here
MOTHER HOUSE: Pilar Monastery, Pilar, Goa, India 403 203
GENERALATE: Pilar Deepti Sadan, Alto Porvorim, Goa, India 403 521
See CONTACTS for more details
MEMBERSHIP OVERVIEW (April 2021)
2 Bishops; 359 Priests; 9 Lay brothers; 68 Professed members for the priesthood
DIOCESES WE WORK IN (April 2021)
AGNEL REGION: Pune, Goa-Daman, Delhi, Bombay, Pune
DELHI PROVINCE: Agra, Delhi, Simla Chandigarh, Jammu, Jullundur
GOA PROVINCE: Goa-Daman, Belgaum, Mylapore, Chingleput, Mangalore, Udupi, Karwar.
MUMBAI PROVINCE: Bombay, Vasai, Baroda, Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Nagpur, Goa-Daman
KOLKATA PROVINCE: Bhopal, Ranchi, Gumla, Asansol, Calcutta, Baruipur, Bagdogra, Dibrugarh, Miao, Guwahati, Shillong, Nongstoin, Asansol, Port Blair.
FOREIGN MISSIONS: Chicago (USA), Southwark, Clifton (UK), Augsburg (Germany), Linz (Austria), Aprilia (Italy), Nouakchott (Mauritania), Saly (Senegal), Kathmandu (Nepal)
Listed in the Annuario Pontificio of 2019 on page 1442